“Pulse”: Goals Management Rules
Rules program the organization, which means they must be defined. The method determines the Rules based on the prerequisites of the environment, if your situation is similar, then you can implement these rules, otherwise, adapt to your environment.
First basic rules: Rules of the Goals. Engineers are people who can achieve any goal, but if they don’t have ready goal, they will achieve their own. And it may not quite meet the goals of the organization.
A goal in an organization is such an entity that someone “needs to achieve” and time and resources are spent on its achievement. In addition to the goals, there are “Initiatives” or “Ideas”, they differ from the “Goals” as they are in the “desirable to achieve” category. Usually, if “desirable”, this means that decisions on financing the achievement of such a goal have not yet been made, and such an initiative may not come first in the organization’s development map.
Principles of Goals Existence
The thought is material. The more highly paid a person said about a thought, the higher the possibility that this thought will become a goal for employees.
Creative people can make for themselves more interesting tasks. The task in general is easier to solve, and the most interesting thing for an engineer is to find a “general view”.
The work that was invented independently becomes a goal and is more readily accomplished.
We never know how many goals an organization has.
An idea not fixed on paper (in a document) spends energy on holding it in the head.
The many Goals in the organization lead to multitasking at the engineer level.
Goal Management Rules
Based on the principles of the goals existence, it is necessary to apply the following rules for managing goals:
- Agree on the rules for launching the Initiative.
- If the Initiative is not approved as a goal for fulfillment or other Objectives are already in the work, then the engineer must refuse to take the Initiative into work.
- Agree on the rules for working with Initiatives. It is possible to share ideas with management engineers, but there must be a clear understanding of why this should be done and what result you want to get as a result of the idea.
- Have an idea – write in the wiki. The idea, being recorded, will will be suitable for discussion.
- The goal of a commercial organization is to create value for shareholders, customers, company personnel and society. This means that any Initiative must be evaluated from the point of influence of the Initiative result on the increase in value brought by the organization.
- By starting the Initiative to work with other incomplete Goals, it is worth to remember that resources have already been spent on previous goals and you need to either recognize them as a loss or complete them before launching a new Initiative.
- Having voiced the idea and defining the goal, let the engineers themselves come up with a route to the goal. Help them by asking questions: What will happen if ….? And how would we also take pay attention to this factor … What needs to be done before this? What prevents us from reaching the goal?
The rules are simple, but if you haven’t agreed on them yet, you may suddenly find that the engineer is creating some kind of framework instead of taking the finished one or making the task the easiest way. Or instead of making a project on which there are external obligations, the engineer is busy with the realization of an idea that the owner of the company said during the meeting.
Tell us in the comments about your occurrences of “hidden” goals in your organizations. How do they appear by you?